Wednesday 1 May 2013

Experimental stitching with sewable LEDs

For a long time now I've wanted to invest in my own stash of smart materials to make my own creative projects such as LilyPad Arduinos, LEDs, EL wire etc.... but as I'm still fighting for academic work it's not something I've been able to indulge myself fully within. However, a few kind people who I have been fortunate enough to work with donated a few bits and pieces so that I could have a play in my spare time.   



I created this spooky ghost using two blue sewable LEDs, conductive thread and sewable battery holder. It was really easy to make but I didn't know if it was going to work until I popped the battery in and saw it light up for the first time. It is a small project but the feeling of achievement when everything comes together is so rewarding it gives you the feeling of a little bit of mastery when so many things are beyond control. I'm not actually a massive fan of sewing as I find it a bit too fiddly but hopefully one day I'll be able to incorporate smart materials into some knitting/crochet projects for fun too.

FYI - The reason why this ghost has blue glowing eyes is a reference to the White Walkers in one of my favourite TV programs Game of Thrones and the blue goo in Casper the Friendly Ghost ice lollies around when I was a kid.


No comments:

Post a Comment